Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Mortar barrage Ability  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Re: Mortar barrage Ability
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
Nope, it's not outdated, and it's there. I guess, people just never bothered to use smoke rounds (that includes me)  ;D ;D ;D
So, using hotkey for smoke rounds work with soviet mortar?
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »
I never quite got understanding of how smoke rounds/grenades worked

do you want to throw smoke in front of your troops? or in front of the guns/mgs that are potentially shooting at you
Soviet is OP

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
My guess is (too lazy to actually check) that it must drastically decrease incoming accuracy for troops, that are in the smoked area.

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »
Oh so you have to be in the smoke, instead I was thinking using it like screen
Soviet is OP

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
Oh so you have to be in the smoke, instead I was thinking using it like screen

I remember the first days of COH, I was using mortars to smoke MG or MG nest and then I sent flamers to clear everything up.
Dunno if it still work though.
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline Vrachov

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »
sorry for confusing you Bishop :P i was talking about that yellow (range) circle. When i play online i use  this to know range of the mortar.

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
sorry for confusing you Bishop :P i was talking about that yellow (range) circle. When i play online i use  this to know range of the mortar.
BTW, the effective force-aiming range is slightly greater than the circle shows.

— forever.

Offline Vrachov

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »
Thanks that will help ;D. i dont use mortar often.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »
I find Smoke Rounds to be really in-efficient. Instead of decreasing their accuracy (And yours too) why not just friggin kill them?
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
Say, you're sending in 3-4 infantry squads right on the enemy's position, that is on the ridge of your mortars' range. And he is aware of that fact. It would take him sending one volk squad to engage your troops to get 'em all massacred by your own mortars (esp. the vetted ones). If you just use the smoke rounds at the time your forces are about to approach the enemy's position, you'll at least save them from horrific shelling.
Though, on the second thought, that sounds rather stupid, since you can just order "hold fire"...
Maybe use it to cover your retreating troops (AT guns, low health tanks, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:40:24 PM by IJoe »

— forever.

Offline SnappingTurtle

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
Use it as intimidation tactics.

"Holy shit wtf is that smoke? He's using smoke, man he must know wth he's doing! I'm gonna pull out all my forces..."

:)
Steam
CoH name: totalrecall

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »
smoke decreases the accuracy and suppression of anything passing through it, this does not include indirect weapons however, which includes flamethrowers

and a barrage ability for the mortar would be a good idea just to help time your shots and find the maximum range, and it wouldnt increase the rate of fire or anything

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14:37 AM »
Smoke affects all shots that pass through it. So you can use it on your troops, on theirs or somewhere between as well. It doesn't affect flamers or shreks which makes it very useful for attacking brits with their emplacements and infantry blobs. It's also very useful for ninja capping a heavily covered point. Smoke decreases accuracy to 25% of normal and massively decreases suppression as well but does not decrease damage.

The upgraded 120mm mortar currently is able to fire smoke rounds either with button or hotkey.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline tpcoughlin

• Donor
  • Ingenery
  • Mankiller from the Shtetl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:09 AM »
smoke decreases the accuracy and suppression of anything passing through it, this does not include indirect weapons however, which includes flamethrowers

and a barrage ability for the mortar would be a good idea just to help time your shots and find the maximum range, and it wouldnt increase the rate of fire or anything

10/4 on the barrage ability.

1. When you are saying "indirect weapons", do you mean indirect fire =IdF weapons? If so what other non-artillery, weapon systems are in the the IdF class?
or
2. 1. When you are saying "indirect weapons", do you mean "non fired, ie guns" weapons like grenades,booby traps, FTs?
I never quite got understanding of how smoke rounds/grenades worked

do you want to throw smoke in front of your troops? or in front of the guns/mgs that are potentially shooting at you
Think of smoke as cover, probably Green + . Your troops must be inside the cover to take advantage of it. I've tried using smoke to screen movements of other units as the Amis, I was not satisfied with the results. That may be due to LOS/LOF rules though. Its not easy to tell If other enemy spotters have you in a LOS that does notpass through your screening smoke. Apparently The Sharpshooter ability: smoke breaks suppression on itself only but also provides cover for other friendly units in the smoke. I do not deploy my sharpshooters as snipers per se. and not generally with other friendly troops. Of course I use them as snipers. I prefer to them as artillery spotters for IDF weapons. IE to create LOS and reduce the fog of war.

Thanks that will help ;D . i dont use mortar often.
Try using your mortars on AFV's. There is an inreased chance of engine Critical Hits when you shell the top of the AFV. It works very well on Lt AFVs (like Pumas), in the game. It might even work on the bigger critters I don't know. BTW once you get an engine critical hit, switch to another target. I have seen multiple critical hits on a target where there are no repair capabilities available; but I've never seen a destroyed engine Critical from mortars at least.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:15:51 AM by tpcoughlin »
孫 The
                                               EFv1.3.1
子 Art
                                               ENIGMA
兵 of
                   Sun Tzu says: War is the way to survival or extinction.
法 War

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:24 AM »
Indirect fire weapons are those that target the ground rather than a unit. So flamers, arty, grenades etc. are all indirect fire. Shreks also work well in smoke against emplacements. They ARE affected by the smoke but only scatter a little so they still likely hit the target without getting hit themselves.

No you do not have to be IN the smoke to benefit. See my explanation above.

Yes, mortars have an extremely high chance of getting engine criticals on ACs. They don't have quite as high chance on heavier vehicles and tanks.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.