Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.4.0.0] Soviet Heavy Mortar post-upgrade  (Read 6510 times)

Offline TheVolskinator

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • Deutschland’s Mächtiger Ostheer!
Re: [1.4.0.0] Soviet Heavy Mortar post-upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:16:20 AM »
I think he means avoid arty shells, just set the damage up from the 81mm and work from there, and see how the accuracy changes he suggested affect it. If so, add the arty shells the mortar currently has as part of a doctrinal unlock--god of war, perhaps. Arty shells off the bat, hell no.
Quote from: Pocketsize
I can't wait till they add british to CoH:O; the extreme forces leveled by the new imbalances will create a black hole around the servers that destroys half of Canada.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
@GlD: I'm sorry, I appologize in advance; but I can't resist:
Realism argument does not compute...
You sound like the dumb robot in the 1960's TV show "Lost in Space".  ::) Sorry. I had to get it out of my system.

Look mate the Sov mortar upgrade is broken. It needs fixed. - A design issue.

Relative to your balance question I agree at 3.3# per round of HE in a ground attack (which should be more accurate in targeting than it is), 240 MP is too cheap and doubtless too early for balance. After the upgrade 280 MP is probably too cheap as well. Maybe 300 or 320 MP would be more appropriate. In any case I expect long range from a 120mm mortar upgraded or not. After the upgrade I expect massive damage including engine criticals on anything it hits and a 3-4 shell barrage with a mortar trajectory and a long cool down between barrages. For vet I would suggest a slight increase in range, one or two accuracy buffs and reduction in cool down as crew size grows and experience increases. I don't particularly what order. Let the balancers decide.

As for the problem of the vanilla mortar, why not just make it an 80 mm mortar and be done with it. No other faction gets a mortar upgrade. If it is desired to turn it into a 120mm upon upgrade or as the crew size increases fine. You could even use it as a balancing tool Nuff said!

@GlD I'm glad you asked. You Aussies are tenacious. No wonder it took Rommel two tries to take Tobruk. With your great gaming prowess and your whimsical username you may appreciate this. It is from another work by the creator of the Greatest War Story in Literature:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/aresmarsmyth/a/102110-Mars-And-Venus-Caught-In-A-Net.htm
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
Actually the unupgraded mortar IS an 81mm I'm pretty sure. The upgraded one is the 120mm.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
yeah the big boy 120mm

the heavy mortar upgrade isnt used much in contemporary play, it could probably use a very small price reduction to make it more appealing to counter wehr defensive, instead of the usual counters
Soviet is OP

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
I've crushed someone with one and they ended up whispering me for about 20minutes how OP it was lol.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
its a hit or a miss, literally. they either end up wiping squads or get wiped themselves. the accuracy is terrible, I wish i had your luck with just 1  :) ;)
Soviet is OP

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
I've crushed someone with one and they ended up whispering me for about 20minutes how OP it was lol.

Hey! Why you didn't say my name! :D
I just think it has a quiet long range for such strong artillery rounds. My wehr mortar wasn't even able to reach the mortar before it died :P.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 11:13:56 AM »
Actually it wasn't you lol. Now that I remember though you had quite the whiney tone :P.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »

Hey! Why you didn't say my name! :D
I just think it has a quiet long range for such strong artillery rounds. My wehr mortar wasn't even able to reach the mortar before it died :P.

thats what US players say about wehr mortars  :P
Soviet is OP

Offline Walentin 'Walki' L.

• Developer
  • Creator of Things
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
thats what US players say about wehr mortars  :P
but think about it: The US gets a mortar in their first building. The Wehrmacht needs to upgrade to tier2 and build their second building and then they get the mortar. Soviets need to build a 100 manpower building and upgrade then they get a mortar already.
I identify as a four-eyed bird man. /s

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Yeah when the 120mm hits it does tend to vet pretty quick.

The Amis pay the highest cost for the least effective mortar squad but get it quickly. "Get there first with the most"
The Sovs pay least for their 80mm (sic) mortar, but they have T1,T2,upgrade requirements much the same as Wher.
The Sov 120mm and PE cost the same but pack an artillery punch and range, whereas PE get that Kampf Gruppe mobility. I like the national flavors of the mortar squads.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War