Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.3.1.0] The nerfs of SU, that I would consider appropriate  (Read 5109 times)

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
  • Who controls the present controls the past.
    • View Profile
Hi all!

I know, that many people here consider me as a SU fanboi. This faulty opinion, however, doesn't reflect my view of the game, and the mod in its entirety. I do believe that balance needs to be achieved. The problem is the ways people are suggesting it should be done.
So here are some of my thoughts on how to make the game more fair for axis players:
1) Obviously (IMO), PE infantry is fragile due to the low number of squad members. That surely shows on their longevity, and definitely shortens their lifetime on the battlefield. Since changing their stats is not the option (nor should it be), I would suggest, that elimination of certain units, such as strelky, TH, and weapon crews would give 'em a little more experience points, so they could improve their stats a bit quicker,
2) I would suggest putting a build limit of three at a time for conscripts, since rarely a player should need more, otherwise he's just blobbing, which isn't good. Probably some other build limits are viable for other infantry types, but that's up for further research, IMO.
3)  Snipers' arty is a bit out of time ATM IMO. It should be available far later. Like after the additional armory research, or when both SB and TH are built.

That's all for now. Thanks for your attention.

Some feedback would be nice. I would like to ask you, however, not to rage-post here, and to keep the point you make well described and fallowed by proper argumentation. Meaning posts like "I don't like it", or "FTW!" would be a bit out of place.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:11:01 PM by blackbishop »

If you want a picture of the future,
imagine a boot stamping on a human face
— forever.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
Re: The nerfs of SU, that I would consider appropriate
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:43 PM »
I'll start by saying that SU balance is actually very good, dont get so wrapped up in low level players complaining about balance joe. they're a dime a dozen, just check out relics official forums. thank god the mods/devs dont listen to all those crazys posting there

A few minor stats changes here and there and thats it.

I'm against any kind of build limit, if a player cant stop "spam" it isnt the unit its the players ability.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:16:58 PM by REDcommissar »
Soviet is OP

pariah

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
I agree with REDcommissar - Unit limits should only apply to the special units, like the really heavy tanks. I don't think a limit on Conscripts is a good idea.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
I like your suggestion #1. Perhaps a slight increment on the xp points given could be useful. For the number 3... You will love the new sniper arty ;D!! I don't know if it's requirements need to be changed though.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
I like your suggestion #1. Perhaps a slight increment on the xp points given could be useful.

Not really considering SU infantry has the lowest hitpoints in the game, you'd be handing XP in record amounts to your opponent. Not like we aren't already.

conscripts die in droves so do tank hunters and strelky as well, why increase the XP given? sounds like a disaster :(
conscripts are already getting a HP nerf, MG's will wipe any SU infantry in seconds, so will volks with or without mp40. the manpower drain alone is more than enough punishment.
A strong breeze and SU infantry fall over

you can't break a determined entrenched axis player with infantry, you need some kind of arty or sniper support. So increasing their XP given seems to be a moot point.

Lets not go overboard with the SU nerf crusade, minor corrections are needed nothing more. I believe these changes are already being implemented, the only balance issues I see is with the sharpshooter, the t90, and the su85 always penetrating. Thats it - and they're receiving many more nerfs than this already.

The focus should actually be on tying up all of the Soviets loose ends, like overpriced armoury upgrades and useless doctrine abilitys.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:42:20 PM by REDcommissar »
Soviet is OP

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
@RedCommissar:
Hmgs and folks are wehr - they don't receive any individual vet. Not sure if the abilities (doctrinal) would be coming to early for them though.
Additionally, conscripts are not to be a part of that feature, Strelky are really strong in masses, so a slight increase in xp gained for them wouldn't be that much of a disaster, TH are not to be used blindly - they are a special purpose unit after all. I'd also add "hold fire" option to TH, no matter if they are hidden or not.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:51:48 PM by IJoe »

— forever.

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
My Comrade I humbly ask you to consider:

the abilities (doctrinal) would be coming to early for them though.
+1

the rate at which doc abiltys are gained was never in question, why increase it?

Strelky are really strong in masses, so a slight increase in xp gained for them wouldn't be that much of a disaster,
But theres no need for this change, nothing here is unbalanced. if you build strelky en masse your population is crippled, and your AT ability is delayed/handicapped, it balances itself. We should avoid making changes like this for the sake of making changes. Its counter-productive

sharpshooters, t90's, and su85s are the only things I see that need to be re worked. If these things were fixed SU would be perfecto! :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:12:34 PM by REDcommissar »
Soviet is OP

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
@RedCommissar:
You're right, but maybe there's a way to do it (1st suggestion) separately for PE only through some experience multiplier.

— forever.

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
TH are not to be used blindly - they are a special purpose unit after all. I'd also add "hold fire" option to TH, no matter if they are hidden or not.
+1
That's actually a good idea. It would make THs appear more like this special purpose unit that u mentioned. If a noob player sees that the unit has more abilities, he wouldn't send it send it directly into the enemy lines. Moreover, it increases the tactical usefulness of the THs.

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa

pariah

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:41 PM »
This suggestion sounds to me more like a buff to the Panzer Elite, rather than a nerf to the Soviet Union...

Also, what would be the point of ordering the Tank Hunters to hold fire?

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:53 PM »
This suggestion sounds to me more like a buff to the Panzer Elite, rather than a nerf to the Soviet Union...

Also, what would be the point of ordering the Tank Hunters to hold fire?
Balance is A=B, no matter if you -A, or +B to achieve it.
Hold fire in PvP would be plenty useful, since TH wouldn't draw attention to themselves immediately after they encounter any enemy within their sight radius, 'cause players aren't everywhere at the same time, and they do have to rely on warnings' system, which wouldn't appear in that case.

— forever.

pariah

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »
Yeah, but i thought this was suggestions for Soviet nerfs, not Panzer Elite buffs.

But Tank Hunters aren't anything special, are they? I mean, if it's just to avoid attention, surely all units with auto-fire should have that ability, no?

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
the way I'm interpreting it is a request for a hold fire on TH because of their 'ambush' nature. they camo in cover but fire/give away their position if 'baited' by infantry.
Soviet is OP

pariah

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
Oh, so they're like Fallschirmjäger?

Offline IJoe

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 10:24:27 PM »
Oh, so they're like Fallschirmjäger?
They pretty much  should be, considering their cost (eight pop(!) for four men - WTF?)

— forever.