Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik call in airstrikes. 1.23  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Mad hatters in jeans

• Guard
    • View Profile
IL-2 Sturmovik call in airstrikes. 1.23
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:16:30 AM »
I'm curious about this ability. Mainly because it's one of the very few Soviet abilities to cost munitions per use. 200 As it stands.

I find it very effective against armour but i do wonder, are the German anti-aircraft defences working against it properly?
I found in one map i built one Flak 88 and it worked wonders.

But the main reason i made this topic is to hear you guys and your experiences with it.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: IL-2 Sturmovik call in airstrikes. 1.23
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:46:36 AM »
It's still a ridiculously good ability but nowhere near as OP as it once was.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline One-eye

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:54 PM »
Its a brilliant ability, can be a real game changer if used correctly.

The only other Soviet ability that's similar is god of war and to be honest i think that needs a serious overhaul.   
"if there's one thing we've learnt in the last thousand miles of retreat, it's that Russian agriculture is in dire need of mechanisation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y&

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »
Yes, once I was attacked by 5 panthers and a tiger, I used that ability and only 2 panthers and half a tiger survived. Very useful ability.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Sigmar

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:30:27 AM »
I was wondering if it will continue to pound an area if you no longer have line of sight on it? In other words if I can no longer see the area I originally targeted will the barrage continue, or will the planes fly over it with out engaging anything there because it is no longer visible?

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:57 AM »
I'm fairly sure it's similar to the henschel in that regard. It requires los to pick out targets to do an attack run on and the attacks simply scatter around the target.

Offline Sonders

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
The Soviet air strike is a good ability but imo not as powerful as PEs sector arty. Ive seen sector arty take out full health vetted riflemen in one hit. Sector arty does not need to maintain control of the sector to continue firing. As a mater of fact, that's the worse part of sector arty. If somehow the sector gets de-capped then the yellow goes away as soon as it starts to get de-capped (flag just starting to come down) so you have no way of knowing if it is still there or not, but it will continue accurately hitting unites in that sector as long as it is active and it can be used back to back with no recharge. Most people that have played COH for a while knows to run like hell from the yellow.

The Soviet air strike if just consentrated in one spot. And not with super accuracy in an entire sector. So don't start with the Soviet air strike is OPed crap. Look how many CPs it takes even to get to the air strike. I have never made it there in a real game, only skirmish games to check it out. I wouldn't go break thru now anyway. I would like over repair mechanic's but I tried those guys a couple of times and they wont over repair. At 5 CPs I don't see any use for those guys. What do they do? just repair faster or what?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:21:41 PM by Sonders »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
At the moment they just repair faster, yes...a reasonably useful ability for a tank heavy doctrine. Its one of those units which lost its original purpose(which was OP) and is now in...somewhat on a limbo where we're working out how to improve it or replace it.
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline TacticalNuke

• Guard
  • The ultimate in Peace-making technology!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »
Now theres an all too familiar story...
I think, therefore I am...
I learn, therefore I advance...
I destroy, that I may endure.

Offline Mad hatters in jeans

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:43:12 AM »
At the moment they just repair faster, yes...a reasonably useful ability for a tank heavy doctrine. Its one of those units which lost its original purpose(which was OP) and is now in...somewhat on a limbo where we're working out how to improve it or replace it.
The mechanics for the tank heavy doctrine.
hmm, i'd give them overrepair and move them to they're the first doctrine unit as opposed to the lend-lease sherman.
maybe make them tougher too.

Offline Sonders

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:50:34 PM »
The mechanics for the tank heavy doctrine.
hmm, i'd give them overrepair and move them to they're the first doctrine unit as opposed to the lend-lease sherman.
maybe make them tougher too.
Mechanics 1 Cp and Sherman 3 CP. I might try break thru then.

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
i find the il2 strike ok as it is now
saved my ass many times against wehrmacht blobs
on the mechanics: i dont get them because they are expensive as hell !!300mp !! I can get a strelky squad for that
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline TacticalNuke

• Guard
  • The ultimate in Peace-making technology!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
I like the mechanics. They're expensive but with veterency, I like to pull my tanks when they receive a lot of damage. they're the only unit that repairs reasonably fast. On the IL2 strike, I think its awsome but with the munition upkeep thing, I find it really difficult to use, even when its unlocked.
I think, therefore I am...
I learn, therefore I advance...
I destroy, that I may endure.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »
I like the mechanics. They're expensive but with veterency, I like to pull my tanks when they receive a lot of damage. they're the only unit that repairs reasonably fast. On the IL2 strike, I think its awsome but with the munition upkeep thing, I find it really difficult to use, even when its unlocked.
+1 right, IL-2 strike is nearly useless, if you have less than 200 mun, and remember about this ridiciolous mun upkeep - if you field enough units to fight, you have no ammo, while enemy player don't have this problem. It's stupid.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
It's not stupid at all. You just have to plan whether you want weapon upgrades or to use the IL-2, just like the other armies. It's not like terror can just use a firestorm whenever they want.