Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: For the future patch that balances other factions.  (Read 14260 times)

Chancellor

For the future patch that balances other factions.
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:00:00 AM »
OK so I've heard somewhere that future EF patches will attempt to balance the other factions until Relic does so themselves.

Currently the biggest IMBA unit in CoH is the Kangaroo; it is almost an instant-win unit.  If EF is really going to attempt to balance the other factions, here is my 2 cents.

1) Forget about a fuel cost increase.  Often times what limits the British player is manpower; not fuel or munitions, since they can leech off the resource points like effective parasites.  In my opinion, increasing the fuel and calling it part of the nerf is not effective.  Manpower is the way to go.

2) Remove infantry crush and/or lower speed.  Given the speeds of these things, two well microed empty kangaroos can still crush whole squads or at the very least force them to retreat.

3) Causing more casualties to passengers when the kangaroo dies is not a good nerf either, because the British player can simply exit the kangaroo before it dies.

4) In regards to the possible nerf of vulnerability to flamethrowers or sniper fire: What about Panzer Elite, who have no such tools?  Normal rifle fire should be also able to deal damage to passengers to be fair to PE.

5) In regards to the button ability unavailable inside Kangaroo nerf, a good British player can simply drive next to the victim tank, drop off the Bren-Tommy squad, and continue to kill it with the PIAT sappers that are still inside the kangaroo.  Not an effective nerf in my opinion.  Again, perhaps a kangaroo speed decrease would help.

ALTERNATIVE) Replace it altogether with another British tank like the Comet or something.  The British should support their tanks with vulnerable infantry just like everyone else.  I simply don't believe the kangaroo carrier even fits in CoH.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
Re: For the future patch that balances other factions.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:50:47 AM »
I completely agree that the kang doesn't fit with the spirit of company. However, most of those nerfs are still plausable because they increase the skill requirement to use the thing. I also agree that the fuel increase is insufficient, but a good start. It needs to have reduced speed or health, either one, to make it slightly less effective. At the moment, the first 2-3 kangs to hit the field are the most dangerous, because you are unprepared, and the fuel cost increase doesn't stop this. This measure only decreases the long term efficiency of these vehicles.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
I don't remember where I read a nice suggestion for this unit besides those listed here:

Remove one slot for transport.

I agree with the increment of it's cost and decrease of speed. Also their should receive damage from normal and sniper fire. I think the flamethrower should deal damage to them but lesser than PE, after all it has tank armor.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline AbhMkh

• Commissar
  • Who Dares Win!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
The british are already underpowered why the hell do you want to nerf the stats of a kangaroo

That thing is best for using british infantry offensively

Since the british have no multipurpose infantry like the americans or wehr or even the PE

Nerfing the kangaroo is not a good idea

"As a british player i dont support it"
The sound of 17 pounder ap shells tearing down panzers

Is music to my ears!!

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
British are up and Cangaroo is simply the most op thing in the game by far, and that is really undisputed.

If you think they're underpowered then its a simple case of you being inexperienced/new player and a self confessed fanboy of that faction. This isn't meant as a nasty criticism but rather as an explanation as to why your recommendation is not going to happen

The changes we're making to the vanila balance are based on the collective recommendations(list) from expert GR players who are FAR better in the game than us.That list was sent to Relic.
We don't make any changes based on what we or anyone else will suggest.
These are the recommendations that Relic would have used for a patch. The reason we're implementing them is purely because Relic has not released a patch of over a year and there is no sign of one ever coming out

ps. Its good to know not all GR experts have Sepha's attitude and are willing to help us, themselves and the community in general  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:58:59 PM by Zerstörer »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
Wait, your changeing regular CoH fractions?
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline Joshua9

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
They've stated that they will be fixing things like the pak bug, and some others, so it seems they are, which might actually attract more people to retrying the mod, so it sounds pretty promising. 

Kangaroos ARE stupid in their current incarnation.  I wouldn't want to nerf them into oblivion, because I think they were an interesting concept, but they should be made more interesting.  Units should take major casualties when inside a destroyed ROO.  this would force some harder decisions, like exiting and continuing to fight in the more vulnerable open, or maybe roo hopping(forcing more to be employed at a given time).  Button could be disallowed from a roo as well, forcing some units to emerge from the vehicle, and rely upon cover fire to do their thing. 

I don't know if it could be coded, but I would find it acceptible if roo's had a "primary unit"...that would be the unit that could use it's abilities from the roo.  It could be the LT with his artillery(but brens could not button and piats could not fire), or it oculd be a bren team and its button, or it could be the piat team(which could not fire unless it was the primary)

And I agree, crush does seem to be a problem for a cheap vehicle like this--I would reccomend, wait... you said the experts were informing your decisions?  damn you experts!

Post Merge: July 10, 2010, 07:03:28 PM

just a question as to pios, are you guy's looking at maybe changing the benefit they get from vet or at least toning it down?  It is pretty damn silly watching two vet 2 pios exterminate a 450 point tommy squad(unflamed)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:03:28 PM by Joshua9 »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »
Wait, your changeing regular CoH fractions?
You really need to ask after what I posted?

Pios are getting a certain adjustment yes. You'll see the changelog before release...probably

And as I said those changes haven't been dictated by us, but a bunch of experts who know quite well what should be changed

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
Sorry to be alittle offtopic, but just somme bug fixes and a little tidy up or some big change?

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »
Bugs and little tweaks that are needed. Nothing too dramatic or major, no.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »
Thanks!

Offline AbhMkh

• Commissar
  • Who Dares Win!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Allright MR "Developer" aka Zerstörer do as you like , i dont care unless its costing me money
The sound of 17 pounder ap shells tearing down panzers

Is music to my ears!!

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »
Allright MR "Developer" aka Zerstörer do as you like , i dont care unless its costing me money
lol... that's what I call a "nice attitude" ::)... chill out dude. IMHO Brits aren't UP/OP, they are just broken atm; PE is UP.

I'm eager to see the changelog for the next patch ;D!!!
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »
IMHO Brits aren't UP/OP, they are just broken atm; PE is UP.

I'm eager to see the changelog for the next patch ;D!!!

+1 me too, looking forward to next patch boys

PS: hope some slight buff changes would be done to PE too :)