Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: [1.11] God of War "2"  (Read 12044 times)

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
[1.11] God of War "2"
« on: May 31, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »
Since this ability didn't change in the last patch and I think it needs to be reconsidered I open again the same topic which was already closed:
http://easternfront.org/forums/index.php?topic=3278.0

According to the original design this ability should deny large area of the map. But from my experience this goal is not achieved when used. GoW shoots very unprecise and with low cadency, which means it doesn't really deny any area, it just make minor to medium damage to ALL troops and structures including my own or my allies. IMO it doesn't fit to offensive player at all and it does fit only a little to defensive player. The price for this ability is therefore too high as Paciat pointed out several times.

2x upgraded Soviet mortars or 1x firebase do more damage than God of War simply because they are more precise. I know that before [1.00] this ability was OP but now I find it quite useless. As some players pointed out - GoW could be used when deployed close to enemy base, which is only logical. I agree that in this case it is the best use of this ability but it is still like lottery ticket - you could do some damage, sometimes almost no damage or very rare do good damage when it hits damaged squad, vehicle or building and completely destroy it.

It needs either to be cost lowered from 6CP to max 3CP or redone to some usable artillery barrage which could be presented by f.e. 20 seconds of heavy gunfire sounds in the background and after it hits designed area with better accuracy and better cadency than it is now. In this case it actually would fit the Propaganda doctrine because Soviets used zounds of guns (thousands) on EF and every major offensive was started by hurricane fire of ALL available artillery pieces.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:37:26 PM by wordsmith »

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
Re: [1.11] God of War "2"
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
I agree with you that God of War should be changed, it's useless, except for german player!
But I think that will not happen for a LONG time, the time needed to make their new patch! Also I dont know the dev's opinion about it: if they have let GoW as it's in this patch, they have no reason to change it.
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline TacticalNuke

• Guard
  • The ultimate in Peace-making technology!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »
I want to be able use it in my ENEMIES territory. I find in hard to believe that bombarding my territory will have any good outcome when I want to take THIER territory. So far I have managed to kill more of my own troops then theirs. If I pull out, they take all my territory while suffering hardly any casualties. Kinda sounds like it defeats the purpose!
I think, therefore I am...
I learn, therefore I advance...
I destroy, that I may endure.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
I like that propaganda doctrine makes Soviets defensive (just like luftwaffe to PE).
The idea of GoW arti was good in theory but it seems not to be working in practice.
I know that Soviets dont care much about their men but sector arti wont be usefull if it will target allied troops. (That dosnt meen it wont kill few men if they are too close to enemy positions). In short, it should be a sector arti that works on a aera (little smaller than now)-not a sector.
I dont mind it hitting base buildings just like I dont mind V1 aka base destroyer.

I dont want it being changed to some normal artillery barrage becouse:
1. Sharpshooter and Command squad have that ability.
2. One short arti strike wouldnt work well with very long cooldown but no ammo cost.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:30:52 PM by Paciat »

Offline TacticalNuke

• Guard
  • The ultimate in Peace-making technology!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
 You misunderstand me. I love the area of effect part of it. Its just I think it would be more effective if it could also be used in enemy territory. For example a heavily garrisoned village near a point you want captured. I'm sorry if it didn't (or still doesn't) make much sense. To reiterate, I only want to be able to use wherever I think its needed.
I think, therefore I am...
I learn, therefore I advance...
I destroy, that I may endure.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
You misunderstand me. I love the area of effect part of it. Its just I think it would be more effective if it could also be used in enemy territory. For example a heavily garrisoned village near a point you want captured. I'm sorry if it didn't (or still doesn't) make much sense. To reiterate, I only want to be able to use wherever I think its needed.
True. Sector arti works on friendly or neutral territory becouse this arti is from Scorhed Earth doctrine.
GoW should work on all sectors. It could be less accurate but more powerfull.
It should cost less CPs too.

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
I dont want it being changed to some normal artillery barrage becouse:
1. Sharpshooter and Command squad have that ability.
2. One short arti strike wouldnt work well with very long cooldown but no ammo cost.

I think we agree that change in this ability is required. I personally wouldn't mind some real heavy arty barrage even with long cooldown, because almost all factions have something like this anyway. And Soviets used really lots of arty guns. I think I would be ok with GoW if it would have like half of the current dissipation or less CP cost.

Offline cephalos

• Mapper
  • Mr. Spam
  • Pick a card...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
maybe Soviet Arty walking barrage? Like brit one, but 20 shells wide ( like 20 arty guns making wlking barrage).It should be more precise than GoW, and you choose from where to where arty is bombing everything.

Offline Red_Stinger

• Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »

Soviet should be able to obliterate the entire battlefield, just because they are supposed to have the more powerfull arti in the game ( like in real life lol ). But I think this power should be used to annihilate german troops, not soviet troops. Arti of all nations have made friendly fire on their own troops, but the actual GoW is more useful for the ennemies!!
"Du sublime au ridicule, il n'y a qu'un pas"
-Napoléon Bonaparte

Offline nomad52

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »
Still holding to the idea that the 3-4 wide and 5-6 (circles) long creeping barrage with a start up time of like 15-20 seconds would be far better than what it is now.

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
This ability really isn't good at all, we should rename it King of War.(KoW)
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline BDNeon

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »
The ability should be able to call in a chain blade wielding spartan warrior to annihilate the fascist invaders.

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 06:32:41 AM »
Except you would have to do a quick time event every time you wanted kratos to kill something.

Just make GoW a mega barrage in an area with a long windup and cooldown.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline Strayker

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
Some really good ideas were posted here, because as of now this ability is quite useless and costs to much CPs. I think that best idea would be to change GoW´s inaccurate fire to fire only in one sector as PE´s Sector Arty, but with very long cooldown because no munitions cost ofcourse and long active usage (say one minute+). In this time span would be that one sector bombed to hell, providing effective area denial for both allies and/or enemies without the need of revealed Fog of War.
"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt..."

nbeerbower

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 01:15:52 AM »
I don't know about the 3CP thing... The Soviets already have a lot of artillery, and Propaganda Strategy lets them get Katyushas!