Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: OFFICIAL POLL: Removing the original factions plus adding in retreat and vet  (Read 38905 times)

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
This is a serious Poll, so think about it.

As you know, Eastern Front is not without its problems, we have been bombarded by complaints since the release and we have done our very best to straighten out balance and bugs the best we can.
However, some of us do not think that this is enough. We achieved a first by adding in the Soviets to the rest of the original factions, it was a massive achievement, but during this time we were also dismayed when we discovered some serious gameplay breaking issues that could not be resolved without Relics help. Relic did help us, and we thank them for that, but its not enough, and our repeated attempts to contact them again for help have been met with an unfortunate silence.
So, there has been some discussion amongst Developers to whether or not we should take Eastern Front in a new direction. This would include:

• Removing two Relic factions (likely Brits and PE).
  • Replacing an Allied faction with Soviets and an Axis faction with the Ostheer, allowing the re-crewing of weapons and other things we cannot do (Automatch, victory/defeat screens, etc).
  • Adding the retreat ability and veterancy to the Soviets.

There are many issues that have cropped up and need to be addressed, as you can imagine the EF Development team is deeply divided over the subject. Your Vote and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
EF Dev Team

FAQ

- if you remove one (or all) Allies faction then you could install ONLY Russian faction and it will be able to re-crew weapons?
The above is the only way to make sure that Soviets and Ostheer factions will be able to re-crew weapons normally like WH/US. It is also the only way that we can acomodate 'Ranking online' as well as being able to automatch as you normally do. Without replacing the 2 factions all of this cannot and will not be fixed

- vet-system is now not possible to implement? (same as previous question - if you replace it then it will be possible?)
It is possible, hence the answer "I agree with adding in retreat and vet, but keep the Relic factions"

- retreat - same question, is it not possible to programm retreat without replacing old Relic faction?
It is possible, hence the answer "I agree with adding in retreat and vet, but keep the Relic factions".

**Update**
The Wehrmacht Terror Propaganda doctrine ability is now working properly against the Russians - forcing a retreat as with the other sides.

Relics community manager has stated that they will try to 'investigate (our problems) in the future', we have set up a prioritized list for them, so any faction removal may only be temporary if Relic kindly fix our Recrew/Automatch/Ranking issues.

PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST LOG IN TO SEE THE POLL AND VOTE
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:13:30 PM by BurroDiablo »

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
I've read the text 3 times but still doesn't understand some details, could you please explain a little?:

- if you remove one (or all) Allies faction then you could install ONLY Russian faction and it will be able to re-crew weapons?

- vet-system is now not possible to implement? (same as previous question - if you replace it then it will be possible?)

- retreat - same question, is it not possible to programm retreat without replacing old Relic faction?

- do you need to replace all factions or just one of them?

Offline Rikard Blixt

• Administrator
  • Mr. Spam
  • 'The Fixer'
    • View Profile
    • Eastern Front
1. This is correct.

2. It is possible, hence the answer "I agree with adding in retreat and vet, but keep the Relic factions"

3. Same as above

4. Just one, the OF faction it would be in the case (PE/Brit)
Valar Morghulis
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: BULLSHIT
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: I'll eat a tree if this won't work now
[CoH:EF-Dev]Rizz: ok
[CoH:EF-Dev]Rizz: I'll hold you to it
<10 minutes later>
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: I think I really gotta eat a tree...
[CoH:EF-Dev]Walki: got a decent one?

Killar

What exactly you cannot do and you need vital help from relic?

As i understand recrewing heavy weapons (hmg´s and atguns) is the main problem

But whats the problem with retreat and vet system?

As i read in prevous posts, you can implant these abilitys without changing relic factions

- no retreat for soviet union:

No retreat is a new characteristic for a faction and important part of the soviet faction (historical)

As i remember in older posts the problem was with axis ability "force retreat" doesn´t work. is it still so?
Perhaps you can chance it and the infantry is instead pinned down. yeah i now it beats with soviet ability "for the motherland" but that would be a balance discussion.

- vet system as i remember (i mostly play against soviet) isn´t implentet yet. But you say you can do it

Another main problem is, that you can´t level your account when you play with soviet.
Does relic keeps silent on this too?

I think the community has adjusted to the possibility of 3 opponents each (3 allies vs. 3 axis factions), so it would be a deficit, if you can´t play with PE or brit along the other factions anymore..

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
There is no problem with retreat or vet, only wether to include them or not. These are elements we chose to omit from the Soviet factions but we have been criticised by many players for making this 'game breaking' decision. Lack of recrew is something that Relic could fix by modifying the DLL (we asked them about this in February), but they are yet to get back to us. The Ostheer is going to suffer from the no-recrew bug as well, only way to cure this currently is to replace 2 of the Relic factions.

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
The best thing about EF was that it dosnt modify the existing fractions. If EF would modify the existing game, even less people would want to have it.

No recrew is not a big problem for Soviets with no mobile MGs. Ostheer should have a buildable LMG squad (without a tripod) that would work like BAR infantry.

I like the no retreat for Soviets, and no vet works well with no retreat becouse you dont have to worry about vet 3 units. You just spam, spam, spam like the Soviets did.  :)

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
Thanx for explanation. I think Killar have a good point that this poll is not as much about retreat and vet system but about recrewing and replacing PE/Brit. He also mention ranking system which is improtant for some players too - not for me personally but there are sure some players who need this to have fun.

This is a tough one boys, the final decision should be on dev's shoulders but as you asked about opinions here is mine:

Recrewing - is important element of the game and should be implemented at ANY costs. And I'm saying it as hardcore PE player who will miss PE very much. But if Ostheer will level the absention of PE then it will be ok. However recrewing bug could be avoided at least by creating a faction which doesn't have any weapons to recrew - like PE (they have only doctrinal Flak38&88mm which could be recrewed). This means no AT guns, mortars or MGs, no emplacements which could be recrewed like Brit's. Of course there is still possibility to recrew Wehr/US weapons which then would be missed in this case.

Retreat - is no problem as it is a part of Soviet strategy, in some cases it even improved my game because I treat units differently and I'm not under stress that I forgot to retreat - I just don't have that option so if suppressed I click to go and if they die it was maximum I could have done.

Vet system
- I would like some better that it is now, but if it remains as it is I could go with this too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:30:20 PM by wordsmith »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
The factions that will be removed are the least popular aka the OF factions.
This effectively means that EF serves as a similar expansion to OF but instead of being able to play with WH/US and OF, you'll be playing with WH/US and EF

The above is the only way to make sure that Soviets and Ostheer factions will be able to re-crew weapons normally like WH/US. It is also the only way that we can acomodate 'Ranking online' as well as being able to automatch as you normally do. Without replacing the 2 factions all of this cannot and will not be fixed

Adding the retreat back to the soviets , is THE ONLY WAY to allow Prop War(and the officer equivalent) to work with the soviets. Without adding back the retreat these features will NOT work.

Please note that only the 3-4 hard capped upgraded conscript NKVD squads will retain the 'no retreat'

So these are the only available options to choose from

« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:54:58 PM by Zerstörer »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Killar

It is also the only way that we can acomodate 'Ranking online' as well as being able to automatch as you normally do.

If you replace brits and Pe, you can´t differentiate between your normal relic factions and the new factions, when you look at your account, right?
Means ether if you play ostheer or PE, you will level up the same faction

Please note that only the 3-4 hard capped upgraded conscript NKVD squads will retain the 'no retreat'

So if you add the retreat ability for the whole army, some units can retreat some not?

Would be the solution for that.
Anyway who retreats in russian faction will be shot  ;D

If relic has to chance a DLL file it is a chance for the game. it would be an update and they don´t intend to make one.
They get no money for it

About replacing factions:

The main achievment of your mod is, in my opinion, that you did´nt replace a faction you made a new one along with the unchanged relic factions
Other mods modified all factions but you added something completly new
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:48:03 PM by Killar »

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile

The main achievment of your mod is, in my opinion, that you did´nt replace a faction you made a new one along with the unchanged relic factions
+1
old ladies applause

Offline omya

• Strelky
    • View Profile

+1
old ladies applause

+1
Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
Could it be done this way that you copy PE/Brit and then replace them with RedArmy/Ostheer and then add PE/Brit as actually new factions - this way RedArmy and Ostheer should be able to recrew weapons and PE/Brit wouldn't? PE doesn't have any weapons to recrew anyway, and Brit only emplacements.

nbeerbower

Could it be done this way that you copy PE/Brit and then replace them with RedArmy/Ostheer and then add PE/Brit as actually new factions - this way RedArmy and Ostheer should be able to recrew weapons and PE/Brit wouldn't? PE doesn't have any weapons to recrew anyway, and Brit only emplacements.

I sort of like this idea, and it's actually what I was thinking about once. If this isn't a possibility I would like to see all Relic factions removed, not just two of them. I think that no retreat for only conscripts is good, and that some vet system would be nice as well.

So basically, keep all the Relic factions or don't keep any (just keep EF factions).

For now I'm going with: "I agree with adding in retreat and vet, but keep the Relic factions"

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that the soviets will never be able to recrew weapons without replacing the OF factions.  And just to make clear what we mean by replacing:

Essentially this fixes all the issues BUT turns EF into an expansion similar to OF where you have 4 fully playable factions in game at any one time.
When you fire up OF, you have the matchup WH/PE/US/British
When you fire up EF, you'll have the matchup WH/Ostheer/US/Soviets
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Ghost

• Beta Testers
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
i was thinking of the same thing  :)
Jagd[tiger] is a buildable replacement for the Kettenkrad... It can cloak and cap points. :P