Other discussions (Read-Only) > Eastern Front

Different equipment used on the Eastern and Western Front

(1/2) > >>

irik:
I know the Wehrmacht used different things in the Eastern and Western Front. What different tanks and guns were used on the Eastern Front and not on the Western Front, and what stuff was used on the Western Front but not the East?

250.Inf. Div.:
This is a prototype only used on the Russian front, is a tank destroyer with a 105mm howitzer based on the panzer 4 chasis,only build two and served exclusively on the Eastern Front,One was captured near Stalingrad.

Killar:
As i know, Jagdtiger and Sturmtiger were mostly on western front.

Sturmtiger took part in Warshaw
Jagdtiger were in Wien and 3 surrendered to red army in Amstetten.

I think Dev Lord Rommel can explain more ...

Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.:
Well, i can.
There were a number of weapons which where used at one front but not on the other front. So here a list of some weapons;

Pz IV 10,5cm KwK "Dicker Max" -
The two prototypes were used at the eastern front. One was lost in combat, one was rebuild to a normal Pz IV.

VK 3001 "Sturer Emil" -
The two prototypes were used at the eastern front. One was lost during the battle of Stalingrad. The other is unknow. Some texts said that this tank was destroyed in 1943 at Heeresgruppe Mitte by a Sturmovik bombing run.

Jagdpanzer V "Jagdpanther" -
this tank was used at schwere Panzerjägerabteilungen and had only seen combat at the western front. Jagdpather wasnt used against red army.

Jagdpanzer VI "Jagdtiger" -
like the Jagdpanther Jagdtiger was used at schwere Panzerjägerabteilungen and had only seen combat at the western front. A small number ( some texts talk about 3 or 4 vehicles ) had fought during the last days of the battle of Vienna ( Schlacht um Wien ).

Sturmgeschütz "Sturmtiger" -
the Sturmtiger was used at the schwere Sturmmörser-Kompanie 1000, 1001 and 1002. Just 2 Sturmtiger of the schwere Sturmmörser-Kompanie 1000 saw combat against polish troops during the Warsaw uprise ( so u cant speak of a battle at the eastern front - Warsaw was a revolt of the Pole ).

Bergetiger -
Well. This unit is a problem because there is no proof that the Tiger with the a crane is a "Bergetiger" - a salvage/recover tank. Some person say that the this Tiger was a "Ladungsträger" ( tank to deploy charges ) -> the tank transport a heavy charge with its crane and place it at a special object. But this theory isnt so popular because when the tank would have done such a job it would had been a suicide mission for the soldiers who handled with the crane outside of the tank ). Other theory is that the
Bergetiger was an improvisation of the sHeeresPzAbtl. 508 which fought at italy. The Abteilung combined destroyed parts of a "Bergefahrzeug" with a demaged Tiger I. And the last people say that the "Bergetiger" was a project to replace the Bergeelefant of the two "Elefant-Units".
All in all the story of this vehicle is unknow just like its units, production numbers and combat deployment.

Hope that is enough first ^^

Killar:

--- Quote from: Lord Rommel on April 13, 2010, 07:20:24 PM ---VK 3001 "Sturer Emil" -
The two prototypes were used at the eastern front. One was lost during the battle of Stalingrad. The other is unknow. Some texts said that this tank was destroyed in 1943 at Heeresgruppe Mitte by a Sturmovik bombing run.

--- End quote ---

One Prototype is at Kubinka tank museum in russia. Do you know it was the one from Stalingrad?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version